[HOW TO] Upgrade Xubuntu 12.10 to 13.04

In this article we'll see how to upgrade Xubuntu 12.10 to Xubuntu 13.04, using both a graphical method and a command line method.

But first there's a few thing to bear in mind:

  • Backup your files.
  • The upgrade might take some time, so be patient.
  • If you added PPAs manually they'll be disabled. If they support 13.04 you can enable them again later.

Upgrade from Software Updater

Open "Update Manager" (Applications Menu > Settings Manager > Software Updater). On the dialog presented to you (similar to the image above) click the "Upgrade" button next to the message that is saying that a new Xubuntu version is available. Then follow the instructions presented to you.

Note: If during the installation you are given a list of services that should be stopped/restarted, for each service run this command (replace SERVICE_NAME with the service name from the list):

sudo service SERVICE_NAME restart

Upgrade from terminal

Open a terminal window and run the command below. Then follow the instructions presented by the command.

sudo do-release-upgrade

References

Ubuntu Manpage: do-release-upgrade

Comments

  1. Also, in some cases, if "new release" is not detected, in the update manager, run this in terminal : update-manager -d :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LTS releases only notify if there's a new LTS release. It'll ignore normal releases.

      Delete
  2. lol im still so scare to update, how its working so far?
    Starkiller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seamless. Everything just working.

      Delete
    2. I went from 12.04 lts to 13.04 because of some problems, and the only problem I am now having is random restarts of xfce4-session for some reason. Also, still cannot seem to install amdcccle. See here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-session/+bug/1104435

      Delete
    3. @Bjørn Madsen
      Have you tried Ricardo F. Teixeira's PPA?

      Delete
    4. Hey wilson, i love your blog, its been so useful for me,since i just switch from windows to xubuntu for thee first time.
      I wish you could write more, specially about networking, i been having a hard time joining my homes workgroup network. sharing folders, etc, i notice xubuntu rightclick option of share this folder is missing.
      Thanks for your hard work
      -Starkiller888

      Delete
    5. @Starkiller888

      Thank you very much for the kind words. I'll try to write something about sharing files on network.

      Delete
  3. I fired up my laptop and discovered to my surprise that it is still on Xubuntu 12.04, so I did "sudo do-release-upgrade" and it tells me "No new version found". I then do "sudo update-manager -d" and it tells me 14.04 is available. Therefore I can only conclude that there is a fatal flaw in "do-release-upgrade".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to upgrade for 13.10 to 14.04 (as pointed out in the software updater) but the release notes indicate 14.04 is a development release. I thought this was released for production or is something wrong with my settings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Says otherwise in the release notes when I click upgrade.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[HOW TO] Create QR Codes in Xubuntu 12.04

[FIX] VLC is unable to open the MRL (smb://)

Add items to Xfce Applications Menu